• Show
Clear All
  • dzimey
    Newbiemmer
    • Apr 2023
    • USA

Trying to bring my X5 from USA to Finland

Hello!

I'm relocating from United States to Finland soon and I have X5 which I intend to take with me.

I'm looking for anyone who had to go through the process of shipping and registering their vehicle in Finland.

Apparently, vehicles owned for more than 6 months can be imported tax free as part of relocation, but everyone discourages doing so anyway.

Nevertheless, I hope there's someone who did it anyway and will be willing to share some tips.

Thanks!
  • Mohko
    Bimmer Rookie
    • Sep 2008
    • Rauma

There is quite a lot of information.
    Should be quite straight forward process.
    F15 X5 40e -17
    G30 530e -20
    Honda CBR XX

EX:
    E38 730
    E34 525
    E36 325
    Honda CBR 1000F
    206 GTI
    E60 lci 530D 08
    F20 114i Msport
    E30 320i Cabrio 90 old school
    F30 330e M-Sport -17

Comment

• Tatu6o
      BTCF Member
      • Sep 2021
      • Uusimaa

Originally posted by dzimey View Post
      Apparently, vehicles owned for more than 6 months can be imported tax free as part of relocation, but everyone discourages doing so anyway.

Reading from the official customs website it states that moving to Finland from outside the EU doesn't exempt the car from taxation. I have heard of the tax free cars when moving from another country but it seems the legislation might have changed. Hopefully somebody who has In-preson experience about importing cars from the states will respond and give some insight.

Comment

• JaniLap
        BTCF Member
        • Sep 2012
        • Tampere

As a rule, you can bring your removal goods to Finland free of customs duty and value added tax, given that your permanent place of residence has been outside the EU for a continuous period of at least 12 months, and you have owned and used your removal goods for at least six months.

You can bring your personal property (that includes motor vehicles intended for private use) to Finland free of customs duty and tax from outside the EU when all of these prerequisites are met:

-Your permanent place of residence has been outside the EU customs territory for an uninterrupted period of at least 12 months.

-You have held your personal property in your permanent place of residence outside the EU customs and tax territory for at least six months prior to your departure to Finland. In addition, durable consumer goods such as your vehicle, computer, television and furniture have in your use, or in the use of your household, for at least six months in your previous place of permanent residence. The required use of six months does not apply to consumer goods of small value.

-Your personal property is intended to be used in the same way in your permanent residence in Finland as it was used in your previous place of residence.

Exemption from customs duty and tax is granted only for removal goods that are cleared through Customs within 12 months of the removal date. In special cases, you can apply for an exception to the above-mentioned time limit of one year.
        N57D30O1 - B47D20O0 - N47D20O1- M57D30O2 - M54B22 - M52TUB20
        BMW vikakoodien lukua, koodaukset, ohjelmistopäivitykset ja muita juttuja. Myös etäyhteydellä
        Webasto ja Eberspächer vikadiagnostiikka.
        Yhteys: yksityisviesti tai telefon: null-vier-null-fünf-drei-zwei-vier-fünf-zwei-sieben.
        Tampere

Comment

• Riaz
          Newbiemmer
          • Jul 2023
          • Finland

Hi Jani ,
          Thanks for the detailed information , does this tax exemption apply even to the 24% VAT ?

@dzimey
          Hi ,
          Were you able to take the car with you and how was the experience with customs and traficom for car registrations ( was there any changes recommended to be done for the car ) . I’m in a same situation and want to take my BMW X5 to Finland from USA and looking for help . Did you get any help from third party consultants or global movers who could help with shipment and customs and registration?

Comment

• JaniLap
            BTCF Member
            • Sep 2012
            • Tampere

Originally posted by Riaz View Post
            Hi Jani ,
            Thanks for the detailed information , does this tax exemption apply even to the 24% VAT ?
            It does, provided that the prerequisites mentioned afore are met.
            N57D30O1 - B47D20O0 - N47D20O1- M57D30O2 - M54B22 - M52TUB20
            BMW vikakoodien lukua, koodaukset, ohjelmistopäivitykset ja muita juttuja. Myös etäyhteydellä
            Webasto ja Eberspächer vikadiagnostiikka.
            Yhteys: yksityisviesti tai telefon: null-vier-null-fünf-drei-zwei-vier-fünf-zwei-sieben.
            Tampere

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎